In compliance with the Election Commission of India’s Order Dated October 17, 2017 directing the Naga People’s Front to settle the dispute through a General Convention as contained in the party’s Constitution (Article XV), a General Convention of the party was held today,November 22, 2017 at Khuochiezie (Local Ground), Kohima, and the following resolutions have been adopted:
- Party Organisation:
- Reiterates support to the decisions adopted at the General Conventions of the party dated November 26, 2014 and April 30, 2015 recognising the leadership of President Dr Shurhozelie Liezietsu as the one and only President of the Naga People’s Front for the tenure 2015- 2020; and today, with the total number of 21,000-plus active members present and approving, resolved to stand firm behind him and work tirelessly for the greater glory of the party;
- The Naga People’s Front, being a founding member of the National Democratic Alliance in 1977, it shall be the endeavour of the NPF to contribute its mite to the overall benefit of the people of the region and the country.
- Extends unflinching support to the ongoing peace process between the Government of India and the NSCN (IM) and recently, with the Naga National Political Groups, and places on record its happiness at the understanding arrived at and the progress made to resolve the Naga political problem.
- Reiterates our stand that the party shall pave way in the event of the realization of a negotiated political settlement that is honorable and acceptable to all section of the Naga people. This commitment will be fulfilled on any day, be it one day, one week, one month, one year or any time.
- Economic Development
- To supplement the Act East Policy of the Government of India and to let the people of the region actively participate and benefit from trade and commerce with the South East Asian nations, it shall be the endeavour of the NPF to pursue with the Government of India for construction of Trans-border National Highway along Indo-Myanmar borders covering the Northeastern States of Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Manipur and Mizoram. The Northeastern region should not be a mere corridor for trade and commerce with the neighbouring countries, but should be converted into a hub of business wherein our youths and entrepreneurs directly participate and benefit from the trades.
- Corruption-free Governance:
- The NPF party shall continue to pursue for corruption-free governance and bring about social justice and equitable development. Transparency and accountability shall be the mantra of the NPF party and its Government as exemplified during the brief tenure of Dr Shurhozelie-led DAN Government earlier this year.
(T. Torechu) (R. Tohanba)